This 45-week PGDNP program is designed to prepare Internationally Educated Nurses (IENs) to adapt to Canadian health care setting combining theory and skills based on the entry-level competencies for Registered Nurses (RNs), Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs), Scope of Practice and Code of Ethics. Furthermore, it will help learners to advance the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to function effectively as Health Care Assistants (HCAs), LPN and/or RN as well as to develop critical thinking skills and acquire knowledge in becoming a culturally competent nurse while providing care. It will also prepare IENs for Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN), Additional Assessment, National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) and Canadian Practical Nurse Registration Examination (CPNRE).
- This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
Job Titles: Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse, Health Care Assistant, Resident Care Attendant, Long-term Care Aide, Home Support Worker, Personal Care Attendant.
Length: 45 weeks 960 hours
Hours: Mon to Fri 9am to 3:30pm
Delivery Mode: Traditional (In-class)
Campus: Vancouver, BC
1. PGDNP Program
Non-refundable Application Fee: $250 (Domestic)/ $300 (International)
Tuition: $16,455 (Domestic) / $16,455 (International)
Textbooks: $490, Materials/Supplies: $420, Lab: $20, Student ID: $20, Program Completion: $150, Administration: $300, Health Insurance*: $165 (3 months coverage wait period for BC Medical Service Plan)
* Optional, only if applicable.
- Applicants must provide proof of valid RN license from country of origin
- Applicants must have completed Bachelors of Science in Nursing
- Applicants must have recent hospital experience within the last four years
- Applicants must have at least one year of relevant experience
- Applicants must provide proof of meeting English language competency requirements (Please refer to the language proficiency policy).
The following are to be completed prior to the first practice education experience:
- Proof of meeting current immunizations / vaccinations as per health care organization policies / guidelines (or signed vaccination exemption form, except TB)
- Criminal record check from the Ministry of Justice, including clearance to work with vulnerable adults *
- First Aid
- CPR Level “C” or “HCP”
- FoodSafe Level 1 (or a course deemed equivalent)
- Provincial Violence Prevention Curriculum (PVPC) E-Learning Modules
* Additional Police Certificate from the country of origin, including clearance to work with vulnerable adults, is required for international students.
English Proficiency Test
Overall Score Speaking Listening Writing Reading IELTS* 6 6 6 5.5 5.5 CELBAN* n/a 7 7 6 6
* The test result is valid for two years.
Gateway College English Language Placement Test with a minimum score of 6.0/6.0/5.5/5.5 out of 9.0 in Listening/Speaking/Reading/Writing
Upon successful completion of the Post Graduate Diploma in Nursing Practice program, students will be granted the following credentials:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Nursing Practice
- Emergency First Aid & CPR Level C Certificate issued by Red Cross
- FoodSafe Certificate issued by BC FOODSAFE
- WHMIS Certificate
- Provincial Violence Prevention Certificate
- Week 1 (On-campus, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm): FoodSafe, Standard First Aid & CPR, and WHIMS
- Week 2-11, 14-45 (On-campus, M-W, 9:00 am – 4:30 pm): Theory courses
- Week 12-13 (On-site, variable 40 hours a week schedule): Work Experience (Clinical Placement)
- CELBAN Preparation
- BCHCA Assessment Preparation
- PGDNP: Clinical Placement
- Professional Practice
- Physical Assessment
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Canadian Nursing Exam Preparation
- PGDNP: Co-op
- Emergency First Aid & CPR Level C