Medical Terminology & Communication in Health Care
Health Care Assistant Training College in Vancouver, BC
This program is designed for students who have no medical background or for those who are in the health care profession and would like to improve their knowledge in medical terminology. This knowledge is a vital part of the communication process in the health care field and will further improve delivery of care to residents in acute or community settings. The unique approach and combination of word building principles combined with the knowledge of Basic Anatomy and Physiology will be taught by qualified instructors who have extensive experience and knowledge in the field.
This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Basic Word Structure
- Suffixes / Prefixes
- Organization of the Body
- Medical specialists and case reports
Duration and Delivery Mode
- 10 Weeks, in class instruction
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age prior to start of the study period, or must be graduated from grade 12. (or equivalent)
- Applicants must provide proof of meeting English language competency requirements. (Please refer to the language proficiency policy.)
Language Competency Requirement
- English 10,
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): IBT only -- Overall score of 61, The Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC): Overall score of 730,
- A score of 65% on the Gateway College Entrance Exam (listening and communication components),
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Academic or General -- Overall score of 5.0 with speaking 5.0 or higher and listening, reading and writing 4.5 or higher,
- The Entrance Exam of Gateway College: Overall 60%, A score of 65% must additionally be achieved on the exam listening and communication components,
- Or Equivalent
Tuition and Other Fees
Non-refundable Application Fee: $250 (Domestic)/ $300 (International)
Tuition: $1,600 (Domestic)/ $2,375 (International)
Textbooks: $110, Materials/Supplies: $40, Student ID: $10, Program Processing: $150, Administration: $300 (Domestic)/ $150 (International), Health Insurance*: $165 (3 months coverage wait period for BC Medical Service Plan)
* Optional, only if applicable.
There is a 50% off on the tuition fees (International Students only)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will receive the Medical Terminology & Communication certificate.
Year 2021: T.B.A.
If the program is full at the time you wish to register, please register for the next available start date. In the event of cancellations or transfers, we will move students ahead accordingly. This is done on a first come first serve basis and we cannot hold a seat without a deposit.