Health Care Assistant – Access Program
- Year 2023: March 27 / July 24 / November 20
The program is ideal for those who have prior learning or work experience in the field, and would like to refresh or update their skills and knowledge to meet and exceed the BC Provincial Standards. This program will help learners to develop the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to function effectively as Health Care Assistants. Successful graduates will be able to provide person-centered care aimed at promoting and maintaining the physical, emotional, cognitive, and social well-being of clients/residents. Graduates from this program will work as part of a team within a health care team under the supervision of a health care professional such as a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse. The graduates can work in both private and publicly funded facilities and hospitals as well as a variety of community settings. These may include extended care, intermediate care, acute care, assisted living, home support, rehabilitation facilities, and group homes.
- Effective September 2016, Gateway College will be implementing the HCA Provincial Curriculum 2015 into all the HCA courses. Graduates of the Health Care Assistant delivered by Gateway College are eligible for registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
- This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Student loans are available for qualified domestic students.
Hours: Mon to Fri, 9am to 3:30pm
Length: 420 hours over 18 weeks (Full-time) or 25 weeks (Part-time)
Delivery Mode: Traditional (In-class) or Combination (Online+On-site)
Campus: Vancouver, BC
Tuition and fees:
Non-refundable Application Fee: $250 (Domestic)/ $300 (International)
Tuition: $3,085 (Domestic) / $12,560 (International)
Administration: $150, Health Insurance*: $186 (3 months coverage wait period for BC Medical Service Plan)
* Optional, only if applicable.