Year 2024: February 26 / April 26 / July 01 / September 09
This program is the accelerated version of the Health Care Assistant and Geriatric Care with Co-op program in Gateway College. Students receive the same training and credentials, but complete their studies within six months! Our dedicated and experienced instructors will provide quality education with hands-on training to prepare students for the real world. Students will practice their techniques in labs equipped with articulated mannequins, hospital beds, medical gear and fixtures. Furthermore, students will participate at a designated facility or a hospital and interact with patients throughout the practicum training period. This training will help students learn proficiency and the confidence most needed on a job.
Welcome to Gateway College, where we understand the urgency of your healthcare career aspirations. Our Health Care Assistant – Accelerated program is designed for individuals eager to fast-track their journey into the healthcare industry. Discover the benefits of our Accelerated Healthcare Programs, combining the efficiency of rapid learning with the excellence of hands-on experience. Dive into HCA Theory Courses Online, ensuring you can pursue your passion for healthcare education flexibly and conveniently.
- Effective September 2016, Gateway College will be implementing the HCA Provincial Curriculum 2015 into all the HCA courses. Graduates of the Health Care Assistant delivered by Gateway College are eligible for registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
- This program has been approved by the registrar of the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
- Student loans are available for qualified domestic students.
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age prior to start of the study period, or must be graduated from grade 12. (or equivalent)
- Applicants must provide proof of meeting English language competency requirements. (Please refer to the language proficiency policy.)
For applicants whose first language is English, evidence of one of the following test scores:
- Provide transcript or proof of completion of Grade 10 English, or
- College courses determined to be equivalent to completion of Grade 10 English by post-secondary institutions (minimum C grade is acceptable)
- Other tests such as Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT), Language Placement Index (LPI) or Accuplacer may be accepted.
For applicants whose first language is not English/ International students, evidence of one of the following test scores:
|English Proficiency Test
* CLBPT test is only available for students currently in Canada. The test result is valid for one year. (a CLB Report Card from a LINC Program may also be accepted.)
** The test result is valid for two years.
Job Titles: Health Care Assistant, Resident Care Attendant, Long-term Care Aide, Home Support Worker, Personal Care Attendant, etc.
Hours: Mon to Fri, 9am to 3:30pm
Length: 755 hours over 23 weeks
Delivery Mode: Traditional (In-class) or Combination (Online+On-site)
Campus: Vancouver, BC
Upon successful completion of the Health Care Assistant and Geriatric Care with Co-op program, students will be granted the following credentials:
- Health Care Assistant - Accelerated Diploma
- Dementia Certificate
- Medication Administration Certificate
- HCA Acute Care Certificate
- Provincial Violence Prevention Certificate
- WHMIS Certificate
*Eligibility to register with the "BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.