GATEWAY COLLEGE VANCOUVER
ONLINE HEALTH CARE ASSISTANT PROGRAM
If you’re looking for a job that offers you security and the satisfaction of helping others, considering a career as a health care assistant is a great idea. As a leading health care assistant training college in Vancouver, BC, we provide our students with rigorous training and practicum before graduation.
This healthcare assistant program is designed to train learners to become Health Care Professionals. Students will participate at a designated facility or a hospital and interact with patients throughout the practicum training period. This healthcare assistant training program will help students learn proficiency and the confidence most needed on a job. Our graduates work in both private and publicly funded facilities and hospitals as well as a variety of community settings. These may include extended care, intermediate care, assisted living, acute care hospitals, home support, rehabilitation facilities, and group homes. Health Care Assistants work as part of a team within a health care unit under the supervision of a healthcare professional such as a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse.
Start dates - Year 2022: February 7 / June 6 / October 3
At Gateway College we also offer Online Health Care Assistant Programs. Our distance education offers flexibility in achieving educational goals for many learners who need to maintain their work to support their families.
We are located in the centre of beautiful Vancouver, British Columbia in Canada providing easy access to local amenities and city transportation.
WHY STUDY TO BE A HEALTH CARE ASSISTANT AT GATEWAY COLLEGE
- ✓Dedicated and Experienced Instructors
- ✓Hands-on training to prepare students for the real world
- ✓Labs equipped with articulated Mannequins, Hospital beds, Medical gear and Fixtures
- ✓Available online, part-time & full-time basis
- ✓Student loan & monthly payment options available
- ✓Graduates of the Health Care Assistant delivered by Gateway College are eligible for registration with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry
What To Expect
- ✓Hours: Mon to Fri, 9am to 3:30pm
* In-class instruction Delivery only
- ✓Length: 755 hours over 32 weeks
- ✓Week 1-21 (On-campus*, 9:00 am – 3:30 pm): Theory courses
- ✓Week 22-25 (On-campus, 9:00 am – 3:30 pm): Healing 3: Personal Care and Assistance (lab training)
- ✓Week 26-32 (On-site, variable 40 hours a week schedule): Work Experience courses
- ✓Delivery Mode: Traditional (In-class) or Combination (Online+On-site)
- ✓Health Care Assistant Diploma
- ✓Dementia Certificate
- ✓Medication Administration Certificate
- ✓HCA Acute Care Certificate
- ✓Provincial Violence Prevention Certificate
- ✓*Eligibility to register with the "BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry.
- ✓Health Care Assistant
- ✓Resident Care Attendant
- ✓Long-term Care Aide
- ✓Home Support Worker
- ✓Personal Care Attendant
- Applicants must be at least 19 years of age prior to start of the study period, or must be graduated from grade 12. (or equivalent)
- Applicants must provide proof of meeting English language competency requirements. (Please refer to the language proficiency policy.)
The following are to be completed prior
to the first practice education experience:
- Proof of meeting current immunizations / vaccinations as per health care organization policies / guidelines (or signed vaccination exemption form, except TB)
- Criminal record check from the Ministry of Justice, including clearance to work with vulnerable adults*
- First Aid
- CPR Level “C” or “HCP”
- FoodSafe Level 1 (or a course deemed equivalent)
- Provincial Violence Prevention Curriculum (PVPC) E-Learning Modules
*Additional Police Certificate from the country of origin, including clearance to work with vulnerable adults, is required for international students.
TUITION AND FEES
Non-refundable Application Fee: $250 (Domestic)/ $300 (International)
Tuition: $2,550 (Domestic)/ $9,410 (International)
Textbooks: $135, Materials/Supplies: $450, Lab: $20, Student ID: $10, Program Processing: $150, Administration: $150, Health Insurance*: $165 (3 months coverage wait period for BC Medical Service Plan)
*Optional, only if applicable.